St Alfege with St Peter's has proudly served the community of Greenwich for over 170 years
St Alfege with St Peter’s CofE School was founded in 1849 as St Peter’s school and was adjoined to St Peter's Church. It was one of many buildings designed by architect Samuel Sanders Teulon. St Peter’s Church was damaged by a bomb in the second world war and subsequently demolished. In 1951 the parish of St Alfege and St Peter were formerly united. The school changed its name from St Peter's School to St Alfege with St Peter's Church of England Primary School on 24 April 1972.
The main school building dates from 1860 and has been listed by English Heritage as being of historic and architectural interest. The saints in our school name are associated with the history of Greenwich.
Saint Alfege was a much loved and revered Archbishop of Canterbury, who in 1012 was abducted and murdered by invading Danes on the site of St Alfege Church.
You can read more about Saint Alfege here.
In 2022 we celebrated 50 years of the school being joined to St Alfege Parish. We had a great time reminiscing with members of the school community and celebrated with a special service led by Vicar Chris. We spent time talking to the children about the history of the school so that they had a good understanding of what it really means to be a part of this school and the history that they are creating.